top of page


Christmas Tree Lighting.jpg

What should you do if you see a crime occurring?

•    Call 911 immediately. 

•    Be observant and make mental notes. 
•    Are there any weapons involved? 

•    What is the address? 

•    Any physical characteristics such as height, weight, race, beard, or scars. 

•    Any clothing description. 

•    How many people involved? 

•    Are the persons involved on foot or in a vehicle?

Christmas Tree Lighting.jpg


What can I expect during a traffic stop?

•    Officer may activate red lights, horn/siren to gain your attention 
•    Additional officers may arrive as back-up 
•    Officers will state their name/department and advise you why you are being stopped 
•    Officer will request your license, insurance ID card, and registration 
•    Officer may issue a traffic summons 
•    Motorists can expect to be treated fairly, courteously, and in a professional manner 

What can a police officer expect during a traffic stop?

•    Driver should safely operate a vehicle to right side of roadway and stop 
•    Driver/occupants should keep hands in plain view and stay in car unless told otherwise 
•    Driver should have license, registration and insurance card ready for the officer 
•    Driver should not make any sudden movements.

•    Drive should advise officer if you need to enter your glove compartment
•    Driver should not debate the issuance of a summons on the highway;

•    Driver should settle any disputes in court 

Do I have to give my name when I want to report suspicious behavior/activities?

While providing your name is not a requirement, such information is critical to the police department when following up on suspicious behavior.  It is also an opportunity for the police department, when appropriate, to provide you with follow-up information regarding the reported behavior. However, you are not required to provide your name. Emergency information should be provided to the police department by dialing 9-1-1.

How can I pay for a ticket?

The details of paying your ticket/summons can be obtained by reading the ticket's back and sending in your fine.  You can also pay for your ticket in person at 1001 East Blvd., Alpha, NJ 08865. This in-person transaction can be completed, Monday-Friday from 8:30 AM-4:30 PM.  You can pay by credit card, check, money order, or cash.  No debit cards are accepted.

How do I obtain an accident report?

To obtain an accident report, you can visit the Records Department at the Phillipsburg Municipal Building Police Department located at 712 South Main St., Phillipsburg, New Jersey 08865.  

How do I obtain an incident report?

If this information you are requesting is available and not excluded under the Open Public Records Act (Please note the police department under the OPRA, “has a responsibility and an obligation to safeguard from public access a citizen's personal information with which it has been entrusted when disclosure thereof would violate the citizen's reasonable expectation of privacy; and nothing contained in P.L.1963, c.73 (C.47:1A-1 et seq.), as amended and supplemented, shall be construed as affecting in any way the common law right of access to any record, including but not limited to criminal investigatory records of a law enforcement agency.”)

An incident report can be obtained by completing the Open Public Records Act form,
available for download as a PDF by clicking here.


Complete the OPRA form and submit the request to the Phillipsburg Police Department Attention:  Records-712 South Main St. Phillipsburg, NJ  08865.  Once the OPRA form has been completed, you can expect 5-7 business days for the report to be released. If the information you are seeking is excluded under the OPRA, you will be contacted by a police department member.  An incident report can only be released after the OPRA form has been completed.  You may also obtain an OPRA request form by visiting the Police Records Department, Monday-Friday 8:00 AM-4:30 PM.

What do I do if I get a ticket and I disagree with the ticket?

If you are pleading not guilty, you must notify the courts in writing.  If "court appearance required" is checked on the summons, you must attend court on the date and time specified, and failure to do so may end in a warrant for your arrest. You may also contact the Court by telephone by calling 908-454-3211.

How do I apply for a firearms ID card?

You may apply for a firearms ID by visiting Police Headquarters, Monday-Friday 8:00 AM-4:30 PM, and obtaining the firearms application packet or completing the forms online HERE. Once you complete the firearms application and related forms, return the packet with proper identification and appropriate fees. Individuals can expect a wait time of 6-8 weeks once the completed paperwork has been submitted.

I want to become more active in the community and partner with the Phillipsburg Police Department.  How do I learn how to get more involved and improve my neighborhood? 

There are several opportunities to volunteer in partnership with the police department.  These opportunities include festivals, community clean-ups, and attending and participating in educational seminars, as well as the neighborhood, meet and greet.  You can email to learn more about these opportunities.

How can I report a street lamp out?

If you notice a street lamp is out, please contact JCP&L at 888-544-4877.  Or, you can report this information to the Warren County Communications dispatch by contacting 908-835-2048


When can I have my fingerprints taken?

The State of New Jersey, Division of State Police, Criminal Information Unit provides criminal history record background checks to any individual requesting a copy of their record. In addition to criminal history record background checks, you may also request background checks for non-criminal justice licensing or employment. Or, if you live or work in the Town of Phillipsburg and require fingerprints for employment purposes, you must pay a $25 fee. The fee can be paid by cash, check, or money order. Fingerprints can be obtained Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday from 8:00 AM-4:30 PM at the Police Department located at 712 South Main St., Phillipsburg, New Jersey.  No appointment is necessary.

Are there any positions available in the Phillipsburg Police Department?

The Phillipsburg Police Department lists all open positions through the NJ Civil Service Commission.  You can review job listings by visiting:

Whom do I call to ask about someone who has been arrested?​

Call 908-454-5501 for more information.


How can I let someone know that an officer did a good job?


The police department appreciates feedback on an officer’s conduct.  You can send an email to or send a letter to Chief Robert Stettner-Phillipsburg Police Department 712 South Main St., Phillipsburg, NJ  08865.  

What can I do if I have a complaint about an officer?

The police department appreciates feedback on an officer’s conduct.  Every Officer will accept any complaint any time anywhere under any circumstances from any person. You can send an email to; or a letter addressed to Chief Robert Stettner-Phillipsburg Police Department 712 South Main St., Phillipsburg, NJ  08865 or call 908-454-5501

bottom of page